In preparation for MAX Bus Rapid Transit, Mason Street from Laurel Street to Maple Street is scheduled to be repaved in September as part of the City of Fort Collins 2013 Street Maintenance Program. At this time, Mason Street will also be re-striped to simplify mixed traffic patterns and improve safety.
In order to minimize impacts to daytime commerce, employment, and traffic, working hours for the project will typically be Sunday through Thursday, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Construction will begin Tuesday, September 3 and will be completed in approximately 2-3 weeks. Mason Street will be fully closed in phases/sections during working hours according to the plan below; side streets will also be closed adjacent to the work zone.
Phase 1: 4-8 days
• Paving east side (northbound) of Mason Street
• The road will be closed in 3-4 block sections starting at Laurel Street and working north toward Maple Street.
• Laurel Street intersection at Mason Street will be fully closed on first night of work.
Phase 2: 4-8 days
• Paving west side (southbound) of Mason Street
• The road will be closed in 3-4 block sections starting at Maple Street and working south toward Laurel Street.
• Mulberry Street intersection at Mason Street will be fully closed on last night of work.
Phase 3: 2-4 days
• Clean-up, east side (northbound) Mason Street
• Clean-up, west side (southbound) Mason Street
The project schedule is an estimate based on favorable conditions; variances may occur due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
A phased approach for traffic closures will be utilized allowing crews to work by section and requiring only 3–4 block closures at any time. Travel lanes and parking on Mason Street will be open during the daytime, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., as possible due to other ongoing construction in the area.
Suggested detour routes during working hours include Howes Street, Remington Street and College Avenue.
During working hours, Traffic Control will use drums and caution tape to cordon off the work zone. Flaggers will also be stationed at intersections in the work zone to safely help pedestrians cross the road.
As each section of work is finished, it will be striped and marked according to the new striping plan (details on this plan can be found at fcgov.com/maxconstruction
For more information, visit fcgov.com/maxconstruction
or call the MAX construction hotline, 970-416-2617.
MAX is on the Way!
Construction of the MAX Bus Rapid Transit system will continue until early 2014, with MAX service beginning in May 2014. MAX will offer passengers efficiency and convenience, with 12 stations and 2 transit centers between Downtown and Harmony Road, service every 10 minutes, and real-time bus arrival information at each station. MAX will connect Downtown Fort Collins, Colorado State University, Midtown and south Fort Collins, providing many new economic redevelopment opportunities near station locations.