17 December 2012 (Fort Collins, CO). Help save landfill space by recycling your Christmas tree instead of throwing it in the trash! This holiday season, residents of Fort Collins and Larimer County will once again have the opportunity to recycle their post-holiday, undecorated Christmas trees.
From December 26, 2012, through January 16, 2013, residents will be able to take their trees to one of four designated drop-off locations in Fort Collins, plus one in Wellington. The Christmas Tree Recycling Program is a free service to the community and is jointly sponsored by the City of Fort Collins and Larimer County.
Trees that are collected weekly from this residential program will be processed into wood mulch suitable for landscaping and gardening projects. Later in the spring, the mulch will be offered to the public for free at the Larimer County Landfill.
It’s extremely important for all lights, string, wire, ornaments, tinsel, fake snow and bags to be removed before taking your tree to any of the drop-off locations; otherwise these decorative materials are ground up and become mixed in the final mulch product, which degrades its value and usefulness. Here’s a listing of all drop-off locations:
• Edora Park, 1420 E. Stuart St. (Tennis court parking lot)
• Larimer County Landfill, 5887 S. Taft Hill Rd. (Monday - Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
• Rolland Moore Park, 2201 S. Shields St. (Parking lot, S.E. corner)
• Streets Facility, 625 Ninth Street (S.W. corner of Vine & Lemay)
• Wellington Recycling Drop-Off Site (corner of 6th Street and Grant Ave.)
For more information on this program and additional reasons for recycling your tree, look for the Spotlight section “Wondering Where to Recycle Your Xmas Tree this Holiday Season?” at fcgov.com/recycling