Website home about our city

The Vision

IMAGINE... a modern, world-class community, continuing to transform from a small city to a progressive metropolitan center, successfully channeling "growth" into positive "community development". Centered along the Mason Corridor, multiple modes of travel conveniently link vibrant activity centers within Fort Collins and the North Front Range region.

Download the Mason Corridor and MAX construction flyer (PDF).

What is the Mason Corridor?

The Mason Corridor is a five mile north-south byway within the city of Fort Collins which extends from Cherry Street on the north to south of Harmony Road. The corridor is centered along the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway property, located a few hundred feet west of College Avenue (US 287).

The Mason Corridor includes a new bicycle and pedestrian trail as well as a planned Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system in a fixed guideway for the majority of the corridor. The BRT service will operate nearly twice as fast as auto travel along College Avenue, as well as provide high frequency service every 10 minutes. Stations will incorporate new high-quality amenities that are similar to light rail, with low floor boarding platforms, sleek new busses, next bus arrival information, and pre-pay fare machines.

The Mason Corridor will link major destinations and activity centers along the corridor including the Downtown commercial, cultural, and business centers, Colorado State University, Foothills Mall, and South College retail areas. Additionally, future regional transit connections will link to the Mason Corridor. See the North I-25 EIS site for more details.

To help clarify the history of the Mason Corridor project, it is important to note that the Fort Collins voters approved the initial funding for the Mason Corridor in 1997 as part of the “Building Community Choices” ballot item, along with funding for a variety of other citywide capital improvement projects.  The City Council approved the Mason Corridor vision plan document, including the plans for the bicycle/pedestrian trail and Bus Rapid Transit system in 2000. What wasn't approved by voters in 2002 and 2003 were two funding initiatives that included local funding for implementation of the Mason Corridor along with funding for a variety of other community-wide transportation projects. Today, the City has secured 80 percent of total project costs from the federal government; the remaining 20 percent of the project costs are being covered by the state of Colorado, City of Fort Collins, Downtown Development Authority, and Colorado State University.

The City's contribution to the project is relatively small and will be an important tool to leverage significant capital improvements for our community - for major transportation enhancements and to stimulate local economic development, particularly at the Mason station areas. In the short-term and the long-range future, the Mason Corridor project will be a major boost to our local economy.

Access Fort Collins

Get MAX Construction Alerts

Sign-Up for Mason Corridor
e-Newsletter

Request a Presentation

Want to learn more about Mason Corridor and MAX Bus Rapid Transit? Submit a Request »

Mason Corridor
Economic Impact
Modern Transit
Expanded Connections
Sustainability