Opportunities to save energy and improve comfort in existing homes vary widely. Most homes offer no–cost and low-cost energy–saving opportunities.
Easy, practical solutions are available to save energy throughout your home–from the roof, walls and insulation that enclose it to the appliances and lights inside.
Where to start:
- Track your energy and water use. Remember the adage, "you can’t manage what you can’t measure."
- Review the quick tips for saving energy and water. Make a plan for actions you can take today, this week, this month and this year.
- Purchase and install compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Consider a home energy audit or home energy rating to determine the most cost–effective next steps.
- Purchase high–efficiency appliances. Look for ENERGY STAR®.
- Switch to green cleaning. Eliminate hazardous materials from your home.
- Check out: Green Your Existing Home programs and services.