For existing commercial buildings, greening a business means assessing energy performance and following energy–saving practices.
Nation–wide, buildings, residential and commercial, consume 36 percent of total U.S. energy use and account for 38 percent of annual U.S. carbon dioxide emissions. The operation and maintenance of buildings have tremendous impacts on our natural resources and surrounding environment.
Where to start:
- Track your energy and water use. Remember the adage, "you can’t manage what you can’t measure."
- Review the business conservation tips. Make a plan for actions you can take today, this week, this month and this year.
- Assign responsibility for greening your business.
- Evaluate the opportunity for energy efficient lighting.
- Consider an energy assessment to determine the most cost–effective next steps.
- Switch to green cleaning methods.
- Check out the green your Existing Business programs and services.