Single-Family to Boarding House Conversion Requirements
Converting a single-family dwelling to a boarding house used for lodging for compensation and not occupied as a single family unit is considered a "Change of Occupancy" requiring the issuance of a new Certificate of Occupancy (CO) with an occupancy classification of R-2.
The following items are required and shall be inspected by the City of Fort Collins prior the issuance of a new CO.
- A building permit issued through the Neighborhood and Building Services office, to include all work involved with the conversion, with a minimum permit fee of $100.00.
- All sleeping rooms shall be provided with an emergency escape window with a clear opening of 5 square feet and maximum sill height of 48 inches.
- All habitable rooms shall have a ceiling height of not less than 6 feet 6 inches to the lowest projection.
- One habitable room shall be a minimum of 120 square feet, with all other habitable rooms a minimum of 70 square feet, with no horizontal dimension less than 7 feet.
- Plumbing systems shall be in good working order without leaks.
- The building shall be in sound condition, providing protection to the tenants from elements.
- The heating system shall be capable of maintaining 70 degrees 3 feet off the floor and shall have been serviced by a City licensed mechanical contractor within the past 6 months.
- The electrical system shall be brought into compliance with the current 2005 National Electrical Code adopted by the City, including a 3-wire grounded system, outlet and light fixture spacing, smoke detection, GFCI and Arcfault protection and location.
- Stairs shall be in sound condition with a maximum rise of 8 inches and a minimum run of 9 inches and a ceiling height of 6 feet 6 inches.
- Boarding houses with 6 or more sleeping rooms or 6 or more occupants shall also provide one accessible sleeping room which is provided with visual and audible smoke alarm, one accessible van parking space with a wheelchair access into the building, one wheelchair accessible restroom complete with bathing facilities and clear space access to all kitchen facilities. Accessible features shall be designed in accordance with ICC/ANSI A117.1-1998 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
Please call 416-2618 should you have any questions.
Michael W. Gebo
Codes & Inspections Administrator