Codes and Standards
Effective Codes - February 17, 2014
All construction within the City of Fort Collins shall comply with following adopted codes adopted by City Council, February 4, 2014:
- 2012 International Building Code with local Amendments
- 2012 International Residential Code with local Amendments
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code with local Amendments
- 2012 International Mechanical Code with local Amendments
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code with local Amendments
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2014 National Electric Code
- Accessibility: State Law CRS 9-5 & ICCA117.1-2009
- Snow Load - Live Load: 30 PSF / Ground Snow Load: 30 PSF
- Frost Depth: 30 inches
- Wind Load: 100 MPH - 3-Second Gust
- Seismic Design Category B
Energy Code Compliance
All projects (except single-family and tenant finishes) require a pre-submittal code review meeting with Building Services. For questions and to schedule this meeting call 970-416-2341 or 970-416-2640.
Multifamily Residential (apartment/condo 3 stories max)
2012 IRC Chapter 11.
See the energy code requirements checklist
Three Ways to Comply:
- Prescriptive Method
- Total UA Alternative (REScheck / COMcheck); calculated using 2012 IECC
- SPA (Simulated Performance Alternative - performance rating). Current approved program is HERS
Work Exempt from Permit Requirements
- 2012 International Residential Code Permit Exemptions
- 2012 International Building Code Permit Exemptions
For questions regarding Zoning, please call 970-416-2745.
For questions regarding Contractor Licensing, call 970-416-2740.