See Fort Collins By Bicycle!
Bicycling is a great way to get to know Fort Collins. With relatively flat terrain, 280+ miles of wide bike lanes, and 30+ miles of bike trails that follow both the scenic Poudre River and Spring Creek, bicycling is a fun, healthy, and environmentally friendly way to see all that Fort Collins has to offer. Check out the bike map to help you with the orientation of Fort Collins here.
The Fort Collins Bicycle Library lends bicycles to visitors, students, and residents looking to explore the City of Fort Collins. We offer a variety of self guided tours from the "Bike the Sites" collection, including a Brewery Tour, Environmental Learning Tour, and the Historic Tour. The Bike Library is centrally located in the heart of downtown Fort Collins in Old Town Square. Look for the Cafe Bicyclette! For more information, please visit www.fcbikelibrary.org or call 970-419-1050.
Fort Collins and the surrounding vicinity offers hundreds of miles of incredible road biking. From flat prairie and country roads, to several steep canyons west of the City, Fort Collins offers world class road riding. See map!
If it's mountain biking you are after, we have miles upon miles of great mountain biking minutes from downtown. Visit the City of Fort Collins Natural Areas for information on riding the foothills trails or check out the trails and pump track at Lory State Park, or Horsetooth Mountain Park for prime mountain biking action. Also, the City's Spring Canyon Park offers a challenging mountain bike skills course and you can find a fast BMX course at Edora Park.
Fort Collins Bicycling Organizations
Additionally, Fort Collins is home to many bicycling organizations. Check out these websites for more information:
Bicycle and Pedestrian Education Coalition
The BPEC, through education and encouragement, works to reduce the number of motor vehicle/bicycle/pedestrian crashes in our community, and increase knowledge and awareness about how to safely share roads. The BPEC works to increase the number of bicycle riders and pedestrians in the community, nurturing health and wellness. Visit www.bpeclarimer.org
Bike Fort Collins
The mission of the Bike Fort Collins program is "To foster a bicycle-friendly culture and transportation system in Fort Collins through education and encouragement." Bike Fort Collins works to instill bicycling as a viable form of transportation and recreation for citizens of Fort Collins. Their projects include and are not limited to, the FC Bike Library, the Safe Routes to School Program, and the Vintage Bicycle Museum Without Walls. To learn more about this organization visit: www.bikefortcollins.org
CSU Cycling Club
CSU Rams Cycling is a club sport and is open to all students. Whether you have raced before or not the Rams Cycling Club is happy to get you on your bike an rolling. Their goal is to get more students on their bikes, so if you don't want to race you can meet them for their group rides. To learn more about the team, group rides, and meeting times check out www.ramscycling.com
Bicycle motocross (BMX) is one of the fastest growing youth sport in North America and one of the newest additions to the Olympics. BMX offers every rider the ability to participate at his or her own pace...No one sits on the bench! There are no coaches deciding who gets to play, everyone gets into the action. To learn more, check out www.epicbmxfc.com
FC Bikes is the City's bicycle program. FC Bikes works to promote the efforts of local bicycling organizations while building the cohesiveness of the bicycling community. FC Bikes is the liaison for the City of Fort Collins on all bicycling matters. FC Bikes also encourages and educates residents of Fort Collins on the benefits of bicycling and provides a foundation or support mechanism for bicyclists. Check out fcgov.com/bicycling for more info.
Fort Collins Bicycle Co-op
We are Building Community Through Bicycling. Run by volunteers, the bike co-op focuses on keeping our community riding, including those who can't afford to buy or maintain a bike. The Bike Co-op refurbishes hundreds of bikes each year which are returned to the community through their Earn-a-Bike program. To find out more about the Bike Co-op, their programs, and volunteering, visit www.fcbikecoop.org
Fort Collins Cycling Club
FCCC represents cyclists of all kinds in Fort Collins. The club is made up of more than 150 riders that include recreation riders, commuters, and racers. During the Fall and Winter the club meet every third Thursday at Mulligan's Pub, at 2439 S. College Ave. in Fort Collins for a presentation of interest to cyclists. They also have group rides, socials, and events. Junior, Individual, Family, and Senior membership information is available on their website: www.fccycleclub.org.
Fort Collins Velodrome Association
The Fort Collins Velodrome Association has been working endlessly to bring a velodrome to downtown Fort Collins. A velodrome is an indoor or outdoor banked oval track used for bike racing for cyclists of all ages and abilities. Apart from providing extracurricular bicycling activities, a downtown velodrome could attract large competition events to Fort Collins as well, provide exciting spectator opportunities for Fort Collins residents. Visit www.fcvelodrome.org for more information.
Northern Colorado Cycling Events
Northern Colorado Cycling Events (NCCE) is a public coalition of members that serve to promote and support competitive bike events in the Northern Colorado region. The group coordinates competitive schedules on a single calendar, cross-promotes all competitive events for the entire year and shares knowledge, resources and political capital in order to maximize exposure and participation in collective events. Visit www.yourgroupride.com/ncce-home for more information.
Overland Mountain Bike Club
Overland Mountain Bike Club promotes the active, healthy sport of mountain biking by providing education and assistance to all trail users, and by working to build and maintain quality, sustainable trails that enhance the mountain biking experience. Overland hosts an array of fun events, group rides, and volunteer events throughout the year. In conjunction with their service organization, Diamond Peaks Mountain Bike Patrol, Overland works to ensure that mountain bikers continue to have a home along the northern Front Range. For more information, please visit: www.overlandmtb.org
Also known as Babes on Bikes, team B.O.B. has been promoting women mountain bikers since 1992. The group offers group rides for novice and experiences riders as well as skill seminars. The team also does trail maintenance and cycling related community events. Once daylight saving begins the team meets every Tuesday at 5:30pm at Soderberg parking area in Horestooth Mountain Park. To learn more about team B.O.B visit www.coteambob.com.
Velo-One Cycling of Colorado wants to build a supportive and friendly racing and social environment for all to enjoy. From season racers wishing to compete at their best, to the new recreational riders wanting to learn more about cycling, Velo-One is here for you. Our goal is put together a club where members know each other, ride together, race together and share the common bond of cycling. Visit: www.velo-one.com
Local Bicycle Manufacturers:
- Big Shot Bikes - 151 Oak St #125 Fort Collins CO 80521 | (970) 775-1233
- Black Sheep - 3227 W Prospect Rd Fort Collins CO 80526 | (970) 308-9187
- Cycle Tote Bicycle Trailers - 517 N Link Ln Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 482-2401
- Meetsauce - Fort Collins CO | (970) 581-6692
- Orlando Baker Designs - Fort Collins CO |
- Panda Bicycles - Fort Collins CO | (970) 372-2123
- RideKick International - Fort Collins CO | (877) 974-4440
- RunAbout Cycles - 1304 Duff Drive, Unit 12 Fort Collins, CO 80524 | (970) 493-4541
- Yendra Built - Fort Collins CO | (970) 430-6505
- Yipsan Bicycles - Fort Collins CO | (970) 672-0168
Local Bicycle Outfitters:
Local Bike Shops:
- Bike Recyclery- Vintage & Used Online Bike Shop - 401 S. Shields St. (Appt. only) | (314) 814-0999
- Brave New Wheel - 105 E Myrtle St Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 416-0417
- Drake Cyclery - 2100 W Drake Rd Ste 4, Fort Collins CO 80526 | (970) 631-8326
- Fort Collins Bike Co-op - 331 N College Ave Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 484-3804
- Full Cycle - 230 S College Ave Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 484-1800
- Lee's - North Store - 202 W Laurel St Fort Collins CO 80521 | (970) 482-6006
- Lee's - South Store - 931 E Harmony Rd Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 226-6006
- Peloton Cycles - 3027 E Harmony Rd Fort Collins CO 80528 | (970) 449-5595
- Performance Bicycle - 2407 S College Ave Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 419-2770
- Phoenix Cyclery - 1532 E Mulberry St, Suite D. Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 493-4517
- ProVelo - 100 E Foothills Pkwy Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 204-9935
- Recycled Cycles - CSU Store - Lory Student Center Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 491-9555
- Recycled Cycles - South Store - 4031-A S Mason St Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 223-1969
- REI - 4025 S College Ave Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 223-0123
- Road 34 - 1213 W Elizabeth St Fort Collins CO 80521 | (970) 221-3434
- Rocky Mountain Recumbent Bicycles - 2111-G S College Ave Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 221-4838
- RunAbout Cycles - 1304 Duff Drive, Unit 12 Fort Collins, CO 80524 | (970) 493-4541
- Small Planet E-Bike - 244 N College Ave Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 416-6803
- Bicycle Information Center
- Bike Colorado
- The Exploratorium's Science of Cycling
- City Bikes
- Save a Car Trip, Bike Instead!
Colorado Bicycling Manual
The following files are in PDF format. The free Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and download them.
- Introduction (PDF 621KB)
- Rules of the Road (PDF 812KB)
- Rules for Shared Use Paths (PDF 121KB)
- Riding for Different Reasons (PDF 613KB)
- Equipment and Accessories (PDF 388KB)
- A Guide to Bicycle Parking (PDF 65KB)
- Theft Prevention (PDF 141KB)
- Crash Information (PDF 67KB)
- Children (PDF 627KB)
- Everyone is a Pedestrian (PDF 128KB)
- Glossary of Terms (PDF 35KB)
- Colorado Statutes Referencing Bicycling (PDF 39KB)
- Resource Directory (PDF 38KB)
- Thank You (acknowledgements) (PDF 5KB)
- National Bicycle History Archive of America
- Pedaling History Bicycle Museum
- The Bicycle Museum of America
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics
- Bikes Belong Statistics
- League of American Bicyclists Statistics